Saturday, February 2, 2008

January 27, 2008 Journal Entry

This is a significant Sunday evening. This evening Elder Gordon B. Hinckley passed away at the age of 97. He has been prophet for 13 years. But he has been at the front of the church leadership over the last 27 years since he was called as a third councilor to President Spencer W. Kimball in the First Presidency. Soon after that call, President Kimball’s health began to fade, the other councilors died, and President Hinckley guided the church along with Quorum of the Twelve.

It is a very big loss for the world and for the members of the church. I will always have special feeling toward him, similar to the feeling and memory I have for President Kimball. During my mission to Thailand Elder Hinckley visited Thailand in 1976, but I was up country and not able to travel to Bangkok to meet with him. The members of the church of Asia love President Hinckley. The church has grown dramatically and miraculously in Asia during his life and ministry. He was the pioneering General Authority in the 1960’s and 1970’s to building the small and fledgling church with small numbers of members in the various countries of southeast Asia.

Two months ago I attended the Celebration of Christmas concert in the Conference Center. As we waited for the concert, all of sudden, the great hall became quiet. Immediately we knew that President Hinckley had entered the hall. As we stood and quietly watched him enter and take his seat, the Spirit once again bore strong witness to my heart that I was in presence of the living Prophet of God. His calling and roll is the same and is as significant was Moses, Enoch, Abraham and Joseph.

As I mourn President Hinckley's passing, I look to the future with a new President and a new First Presidency. Elder Thomas S. Monson will be set apart as the new Prophet of the Church. He is the senior apostle. He has been serving in the First Presidency for the last 20 years, with President Benson, President Hunter and President Hinckley. He is well prepared and will be a great leader for the church.

No comments: